Healthy Birthday Cake, because following a healthy lifestyle doesn’t mean to give up delicious cakes, and even less if it’s your birthday!!
Taking care of yourself is not just eating healthy. It’s also about mindset, about sharing food, living the moment and enjoy a fulfilled life!
Many people who start quitting sugar, leaving refined foods, and eating healthy… are afraid to have a bit of a cake, even if it’s healthy sugared cake; or to enjoy a dinner with their friends, they believe if they do, they have failed to themselves… My biggest advice is just don’t punish yourself, go with it and don’t make a big deal about it, you can move fon from it. It’s important to understand that life is about balance! You shouldn’t be afraid, a bite of something that you won’t consider in your daily healthy life is not going to ruin your habits, your new life philosophy. Tomorrow will be a new day and you can keep up with your healthy routine. You can perfectly enjoy your nephew’s birthday cake and still be healthy! The enjoyment of the party, your nephew excitement… all those moments also nourish you!
80/20 is a ratio that I really love. Fill your plate with antioxidant-rich wholefoods 80% of the time, and enjoy your favourite, slightly less nutritious foods for the remaining 20%.
This birthday cake is made with whole and delicious nutrient dense ingredients. Happy eggs, unsweetened almond milk, wholemeal spelt flour, fresh strawberries, vanilla, rich mascarpone, Greek yogurt and yes some sugar as well, coconut sugar for the sponge and maple syrup in the frosting, but really tiny amounts if you compare with a traditional cake recipe or the store-bought ones. We could say this healthy birthday cake falls somewhere in between that 80%-20%, having more weight in the 80% side.
Who wouldn’t want a bite of it? This cake nourish you and even more important, provides happiness to your soul!!!
Delicious and healthy birthday cake made with whole ingredients that will nourish your body and your mind.
- 110 ml extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 90 gr coconut sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 free-range eggs
- 150 grams wholemeal spelt flour
- 30 grams ground almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch cream of tartar or few drops of lemon juice
- 125 ml almond milk or any other milk
- 500 grams mascarpone
- 180 ml Greek natural yogurt o skyr (super thick yogurt high in protein)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 100 grams strawberries finely chopped
- berries fresh or frozen
- fresh strawberries
Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a 23*30cm oven tray with parchment paper.
In a big bowl beat the eggs, coconut sugar, vanilla and oil until smooth.
In a different bowl, mix spelt flour, ground almonds, baking powder and cream of tartar. Gently fold it through the egg mixture.
Add almond milk and mix gently.
Pour the mixture into the prepared oven tray and bake for 20-30 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
Meanwhile prepare the frosting by stiring the mascarpone with a spatula until smooth. Add yogurt, maple and vanilla and stir until smooth.
Take one third of the mixture into a different bowl and add the strawberries.
Reserve both bowls into the fridge and let them set.
Take the sponge and cut 6*8,5cm circles with a cookie cutter or a glass.
Place one circle onto a serving plate. Scoop about 2 large tablespoons of the strawberry mascarpone mixture into the middle on the circle and smooth out to the edges.
Add a secon circle and repeat the previous step.
Top with a thrid circle. Spredd vanilla mascarpone around and on top of the cake smoothing with a palette knife. Decorate with strawberry and berries.
Make the same proccess with the other 3 circles. You will get two tine covered cakes.
This recipe makes 2*8,5cm cakes.
You could get a two layer cake of 22cm diameter by dividing the sponge mixture between two 22cm cake tins and baking them for 40 minutes aprox. When it's time to build it, place the strawberry mascarpone in between the layers and cover with the plain vanilla mascarpone.