Few weeks ago I had to do a talk about healthy habits and offer a healthy dish in a private company. The idea was to rise awareness among the employees about how food can affect our health and few tips to make those healthy habits to stick in.
Was funny when the first two people approached me and asked if there was meat in the dish I was preparing, they claim they couldn’t live without meat…
thankfully for them, there was chicken. Chicken is a great source of protein, ideal for a healthy immune system and muscle repair. But as I explained in the talk, being healthy is not about dieting or eating just greens. The importance is to find a balance diet, to make sure to get organic always we can, to go for free-range chicken and grass-fed meats, or from trusted sources (be friend of your butcher!) and always build half of your plate with veggies.
And that is exactly what they had for lunch, a delicious and tasty cauliflower couscous with chicken. Kind of a fried rice, but without the rice and without the fried. 75% of the dish was veggies and the other 25% meat. Many of them confessed me afterwards they were sceptical about the cauliflower, but they were pleasantly surprise when they gave it a try. One thought changing rice for cauliflower was genius and an official cauliflower hater just love it (he repeated 3 times!). A total success among meat eaters.
It could be made with leftover turkey, what it’s great for these days where the big bird is leading many of our tables! You would just to skip the step the step 2 and just add the cooked turkey, diced in the step 4.
I would love to see how you trick those who believe cauliflower is not good, so please don’t forget to tag #healthyforkful on Instagram or leave a comment below.
Cauliflower Couscous w Chicken
- 4 organic free-range medium chicken breast minced
- 1 head small cauliflower
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 125 g green peas frozen
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
Cut the cauliflower into florets. Using a food processor, proccess the cauliflower until it get couscous texture. Sauté in a hot pan with a bit of oil.
Heat some oil in a pan over high heat. Add minced chicken and sauté until fully cooked. Remove from the pan and reserve.
In the same pan, heat a bit more of oil and sauté carrots with minced garlic. Add peas, ground ginger and soy sauce. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the chicken and cauliflower and cook a bit longer so the flavour mix well.
Beat the eggs in a bowl. Make a hole in the middle of the pan and add the beaten eggs. Mix with a spatula for a couple of minutes and then mix with the cauliflower and chicken mixture.
You can serve it hot or slightly cold.